Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Seeded Energy Crackers & Chickpea Mash






Flaxseed crackers have interested me for a while, but I have yet to purchase any. Until the other day when I decided to look for some to buy and was shocked at how expensive they can be! So like with most things I consider at one time or another purchasing pre-made, I decided "I could make that!" After researching and reading several different recipes, I came to the realization that all there is to making these crackers is combining two part seeds to one part water. Therefore, I decided to mix up what kinds of seeds I used, added in some seasonings, and have to say I am pretty excited by how tasty these turned out!

As for the chickpea mash, I have been seeing quite a few vegan tuna salad recipes popping up where they substitute chickpeas for tuna. It intrigued me, especially the mashing of the chickpeas part, so I decided to make my own "mash" and fell in love. You know that moment when you think "where have you been all my life?" about something? Well, that happened to me when I tried smoked paprika. The Trader Joe's near me just started selling it, and oh my goodness, where has it been all my life! I highly recommend purchasing it for this recipe if you do not have it already. I promise to post many more recipes including it so it will not go to waste! Plus I just know you will love it =)

Together these two recipes make the perfect high energy snack! Gluten free crackers full of healthy fats, protein, fiber, and vitamins. Plus, a protein and fiber rich bean mash that will certainly diminish your mid-afternoon hunger attack. Did I mention it is delicious?! Happy snacking.

Ingredients for Crackers
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup pepitas 
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 cup water
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Ingredients for Chickpea Mash
2 cups cooked, rinsed, and drained organic chickpeas/garbanzo beans
2 tablespoons tahini
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika (favorite found at Trader Joe's)
Plus extra smoked paprika for dusting

For the crackers: preheat your oven to 325 F. Mix all the seeds in one bowl, and the water and seasonings in a second bowl. Now, mix the wet mixture with the seeds, and scoop onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. There may be leftover liquid in the bowl, that's okay. Press the seed mixture into a 1/4 inch rectangle shape on your sheet. Bake for 30 minutes, then cut into squares of your desired size, flip (carefully), and bake for another 30 minutes. Each side should be a golden brown. When finished, let them cool on the pan on the counter. Eat after they cool or store in an airtight container until ready to serve.

For the chickpea mash: mash a little more than half of the chickpeas with the back of a fork in a mixing bowl. Add the tahini and mix well. Then add all the spices and mix well again. Sprinkle with additional paprika on top when ready to serve. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready for a snack! Serve with seeded energy crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment