Sunday, November 10, 2013

Raw Black Bottom Pumpkin Pies with Whipped Coconut Cream


I'm currently sitting in my kitchen with my first test batch of cinnamon rolls in the oven (recipe coming soon!) while writing this awesome post on the best pumpkin pie I've ever had. Life is feeling pretty good right about now (and it is smelling AMAZING). Oh and I am eating a salad. Need to offset the weekly treat indulgence with lots of veggies and juicing in between. I promise I don't only eat what I post! It's about balance. And these pies will knock the socks off your taste buds without all the added refined sugars and flours found in your typical treats (cough... like these cinnamon rolls... cough...).

Last year when I made my first raw pumpkin pie I swore I would never eat a baked pumpkin pie again. That was a little bold, but my love for the raw pie still stands. This year I decided to mix it up a little by adding the black bottom. But why stop there? Then came the chocolate crust. Then I made it cuter in a new mini-pie form. Everything tastes better when cute and small. I might be inclined to say I kicked last year's pie in the butt. But I won't say. You'll just have to make both and decide for yourself. 

Notes: In order to make this completely raw you will need to use raw pumpkin instead of the canned, and substitute cashew cream for the whipped coconut cream. 

Yields four 4-inch mini pies. Could substitute one 9-inch tart pan with removable sides, if desired. 

Ingredients
Crust
1 cup raw almonds
1 cup raw cashews
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
1 cup of dates
Pinch of pink salt
Dash of cinnamon
1 or 2 tablespoons of water

Pumpkin Filling
1 15oz. can pumpkin puree preferably organic and in a BPA free can
3/4 cup raw agave
1/4 cup whipped coconut cream
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

Raw Chocolate
1/4 cup raw cacao powder
1/4 cup coconut oil melted
4 teaspoons raw agave

One batch of whipped coconut cream

Begin by making the coconut cream and transferring it to an airtight container in the refrigerator. 

For the crust, remove the seeds from the dates, give them a chop, and soak them in water for at least 10 minutes to hydrate and soften. In the bowl of your food processor, process the almonds and cashews until they resemble a fine meal. Add the cacao powder, salt, and cinnamon. Pulse to incorporate. Add the soaked dates and process until fully incorporated and crumbly. Add only one tablespoon of water and process, scraping down the sides as needed, until the mixture is slightly sticky and binding together. Add any additional water slowly to avoid adding too much, it will make handling the dough very frustrating in the next step (guilty...). Lightly grease four 4-inch springform pans (or tart shells or ramekins) with coconut oil. Divide the crust mixture evenly between the four, and using your fingers, press the dough into the pans and up the sides evenly. Transfer pans to the freezer to chill while you prepare the chocolate.

For the raw chocolate, combine all the ingredients in a small dish and whisk together until all the cacao clumps are gone and the mixture is smooth. Remove the pie pans from the freezer and spoon 3 teaspoons of the raw chocolate into each pie shell, giving it a nice base layer of chocolate. Return to the freezer for the chocolate to set.

For the pumpkin filling, combine the pumpkin, agave, and pumpkin pie spice and whisk vigorously to get rid of any clumps of pumpkin. Fold/stir in the whipped coconut cream last. Remove the pie shells from the freezer (if the chocolate is set, if not then give it a few more minutes). Divide the pumpkin filling evenly between the four dishes. Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving. 

When ready to serve, run a knife around the outside of the removable shell before unclasping and removing (if using springform ones like mine). Top with whipped coconut cream and a dash of cinnamon (optional). 



8 comments:

  1. oh my! that looks absolutely amazing! i'll definitely be making this for thanksgiving (if i can even wait that long)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I know, some for now some for later, right!? Its not for another 2 weeks, I think its okay to make twice ;)

      Delete
  2. is there any way you can make the crust nut free? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that I have made, I'm sorry! I'm sure someone has a good nut-free crust recipe out there. The only substitute I can think of are sunflower seeds. But I'm not sure how that would taste!

      Delete
    2. I just googled "nut free raw crust" and this one looks tasty! Maybe just add the raw cacao to make it chocolate!
      http://nouveauraw.com/raw-recipies/desserts/strawberry-chocolate-nut-free-pie/

      Delete
  3. using wooden wall decors at home is a great alternative to using those expensive metal wall decors,, Nang delivery sydney

    ReplyDelete