Monday, November 18, 2013

Oh Snap, Gingersnaps

Oh snap, gingersnaps. This is my "dangerous" cookie. The cookie I can sit down and devour one after another without ceasing until they have all disappeared and my mouth is torn to pieces. This is my cookie for fall. The cookie that encompasses my favorite flavors, molasses, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Not only did I need this recipe's flavors to be spot on with the boxed gingersnaps of my childhood, but I wanted to come up with a recipe where you could make them either soft and chewy or hard and snappy. Like very few recipes, I nailed it with my first batch - and am so excited to share this recipe with you today! This is a must-make recipe for you gingersnap lovers meandering gingersnap-less out there. Instructions on how to make them more "chewy" or "snappy" are in the baking directions below. 

Yields 16 cookies. 

Ingredients
1 1/4 cup light spelt flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 cup vegan butter softened
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup raw turbinado sugar or cane sugar
1/4 cup molasses

Preheat the oven to 350F. 

Cream the butter, sugar, and molasses together.

Mix in the spices and almond milk.

Add the flour and baking soda, mix until combined. 

Drop in tablespoon sized balls into a small bowl filled with raw turbinado or cane sugar. Roll to coat evenly and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.

Chewy Cookies: Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until slightly browned. Let fully cool on the counter before transferring to an airtight container to store on the counter for up to one week.

Snappy Cookies: Bake for 15 minutes. Let fully cool on the counter for an hour or two before transferring to a plate to sit uncovered on your counter for up to three days. 

4 comments:

  1. I didn't think I was a gingersnap person (Chocolate all the way!), but when I tried a batch at the Fresh Market a few months ago, it was love at first site. I can't wait to make these! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found your love for them too! I hope you get to make and enjoy them. And hey, why give up on the chocolate - sandwich some chocolate ganache between two of these babies and take your taste buds to the moon and back. (guilty of making and enjoying several this way)

      Delete
  2. We make gingersnap truffles at the store where I work....try these with some dark chocolate drizzled on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally guilty of doing this in the past! My favorite is sandwiching dark chocolate ganache between two of them. Out of this world incredible. Sounds like you work somewhere yummy!

      Delete