Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Banana Blueberry Coconut Bread






























I have been craving banana bread, blueberry muffins, and anything coconut for a few weeks now. So it was time to nip all those cravings in the butt with a single bread recipe. And oh my goodness were these flavors meant to be together! This bread comes out nice and golden on the outside, and super rich and moist on the inside. The hint of coconut flavor from the coconut oil is perfect (not overpowering at all), and the shredded coconut gives it a great texture along with the rolled oats. I used frozen organic wild blueberries in this batch, but would highly recommend large and juicy fresh blueberries in the future (they were not as flavorful as the large, fresh ones!). Not to forget the banana - the wonderful, sweet, moistening banana. I need to get back in the kitchen and make this one again - right now! 

Not a fan of coconut? Substitute the coconut oil for a less healthy canola oil or softened Earth Balance vegan butter and leave out the shredded coconut. 

Craving chocolate? Substitute 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips, dark chocolate chunks, or cacao nibs for the blueberries!

This bread is low in gluten - but need it to be gluten free? Make sure to get GF oat flour, and substitute your favorite GF flour blend for the spelt flour. 

Makes 1 9x5 inch loaf. 

Ingredients
1 large (or two medium) overripe banana
1/2 cup organic brown sugar
1/4 cup coconut oil melted
1/2 cup almond milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup spelt flour
3/4 cup oat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup blueberries

Preheat your oven to 350 F.

Begin by mashing the banana(s) in a medium size mixing bowl. Stir in the brown sugar, coconut oil, almond milk, shredded coconut, and vanilla. Then add the salt, baking soda, flours, and oats. Mix well. Fold in the blueberries last, and pour into a greased bread pan (I used a 9x5 bread pan, and use coconut oil for my non-stick spray). Bake for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick entered in the center of the pan comes out clean. Let the bread cool in the pan for 5 minutes, and then transfer to a plate or wire rack to fully cool before slicing or storing. I wrap mine in plastic wrap and leave on the counter to keep it extra moist. Should keep for a few days on the counter, or up to 1 week in the refrigerator. 

9 comments:

  1. I don't see a measurement for shredded coconut in the recipe :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh snap! Adding it now! Thank you for letting me know, it's a half cup of coconut!

      Delete
  2. Looks Delicious! Can I use desiccated coconut instead of shredded coconut?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynne - thank you! And you know, I've never used dessicated coconut before so I can't say for certain - but based off what I've seen of it just researching it online right now I think you would be fine to use it! If you do, and don't mind sharing with me, I'd love to know how it turns out!

      Delete
  3. Oh brilliant, I will definitely give it a try this weekend and let you know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so good! I used whole wheat instead of spelt flour and a few pureed dates instead of sugar and it turned out great. Probably my favourite banana bread recipe so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so wonderful to hear! I'm so glad. I will have to try it using date purée sometime too! :)

      Delete
  5. I just made this today...my oh my...it is amazing! Thanks for the awesome recipe!! This has become a family favorite already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw yay! I am so glad to hear you and your family are enjoying it! So so glad. It's a favorite in our house too. Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete