Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Stuffed Sweet Potato





This was the byproduct of my brainstorming on a lazy afternoon (The best time to brainstorm in my opinion! Aren't lazy afternoons the best?). I knew I wanted something packed with nutrients for dinner, but I wanted to put in minimal effort. Yes, there are days where even I don't feel like being in the kitchen for very long! So I made this stuffed sweet potato. Minus the fact you have to start about an hour before you want to eat (to let the potato bake) it really requires very little effort. It is also packed with nutrients, costs very little to make, and leaves you feeling comfortably full - and most importantly, satisfied.

Serves 2

Ingredients
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
1 green bell pepper, sliced into strips
1/2 sweet onion, sliced into thin strips
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced (optional) 
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, divided
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your desired level of spice)
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
2 avocados
Juice of 1 lime

Begin by preheating your oven to 375 F. Poke holes in the top of your sweet potatoes, and place on a cookie sheet in the oven on the center rack to bake. Set your timer for 60 minutes. When there is only 30 minutes left on the timer, combine your veggies, garlic, olive oil, 1 teaspoon of the sea salt, and the rest of the spices. Toss in a baking pan, and place on a rack in your oven below the roasting potatoes for the last 25 minutes. The potatoes are done if soft when poked with a fork. Remove the potatoes and the veggies from the oven. Chop your avocado and toss in a bowl with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and lime juice. Place each potato on a plate, cut down the center but not all the way through, mash a bit of the inside of the potato with a fork, stuff with equal amounts of veggies, and top with the avocado mixture. Now it's time to dig in, enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful and so tasty! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! I love stuffing baked potatoes with just about anything in my fridge, & that looks so good! I honestly think sweet potato & avocado are a combo sent from heaven, so nice work on making me drool ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did I wait so long to put avocado on sweet potato? (I put it on everthing else!). I've made this a couple of times now and my partner and I both LOVE it. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it the best?! So glad you guys are loving the recipe!

      Delete