Tuesday, October 23, 2012

No-Bake Spider Cookies



Finally, after avoiding vegan-izing my favorite cookie on the planet in fear of over consumption - I caved. I think I always knew I could make the vegan version quite simply, but decided to keep putting it off because of my history with these dangerously satisfying bad boys - the no-bake cookie. Before going vegan I use to make these all the time. They were my go-to cookie for late night movie treats, or when that chocolate craving overcame me with full force. Never having just one, I always devour at least half the batch. Then they become breakfast the next day, snacks in between snacks, they are my ultimate weakness. Nonetheless, I am ecstatic to share my favorite cookie with you now vegan-ized! It is by no means a healthy cookie, definitely a treat, and now a spooky treat when you do it spider style! Something about the sweet and salty seems to get my taste buds going, so the addition of the pretzel sticks was a huge win. Not to mention even MORE chocolate with the chocolate chip eyes (as if they needed more), this is a halloween party treat hit!

Ingredients
1/2 cup (1 stick) Earth Balance vegan butter
1 cup organic cane sugar
1/3 cup almond milk, unsweetened (I used vanilla flavor)
6 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 1/2 cups instant/quick cooking oats
3/4 cup natural peanut butter
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Pretzel sticks for the legs.
Vegan chocolate chips for the eyes.

Place the stick of vegan butter in a medium sauce pan and heat to medium-high heat. While that is heating, measure in a mixing bowl your oats and peanut butter. Once butter is mostly melted, add in the sugar, almond milk, and cocoa powder. Whisk constantly, bringing the mixture to a boil. Whisk while boiling for about 30 seconds or so, and then immediately remove from heat and pour over the oats and peanut butter mixture. Add the vanilla to the batter at this time, and mix well until peanut butter and oats are evenly mixed. Spoon (or scoop with a cookie scoop) rounded tablespoons of batter onto a foil-lined cookie sheet or several plates (whichever will fit in your freezer easiest!). Freeze for 20 minutes, remove, and add your pretzel legs and chocolate chip eyes to create your spiders! Keep them in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to serve (I like keeping them in the freezer so they are extra cold and chewy, but refrigerator works great too). Happy Halloween!





No comments:

Post a Comment