Sunday, July 29, 2012

Balsamic Roasted Chickpea Salad & Wrap



Balsamic and Mexican flavors combined? I know, I thought it sounded weird too. But at the time it was all I had in my refrigerator so I gave it a go and made the wrap pictured above, and LOVED it so much I remade it as a salad too. Marinating chickpeas is going to be a new "thing" for me now. They absorb the flavor so well, making it easy to use them in all sorts of dishes! A boost of protein to any meal, they are great meat replacers too.

Balsamic Roasted Chickpeas (2-3 servings)
2 cups cooked chickpeas
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon sea salt

Wrap or Salad (1 serving)
Whole romaine leaf for wrap, or chopped greens for salad (I used chopped organic spinach)
2 tablespoons Pico de gallo
1 whole Avocado
1/3 cup balsamic roasted chickpeas

Rinse the cooked chickpeas well, and then toss in a container with balsamic vinegar. Let marinate in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours. Turning halfway through to make sure all the chickpeas get some balsamic love.

Heat your oven to 375 degrees. Drain extra balsamic liquid from the chickpea container, and then toss them with the sea salt. Spread chickpeas out on an oiled or nonstick baking pan, and roast for 25-30 minutes.

Assemble you salad or wrap with the ingredients listed above and enjoy!

2 comments: